Tuesday, September 20, 2011

New York, New York Part 2

This is a continuation of my trip to New York, with Jackie, for Kathy's daughter's wedding.  Join me as I share our adventure!

So we hop on the subway and the first thing we hear is some man's voice announcing the next stop but I swear he has marbles in his mouth because we have no idea what he is saying.  There is a map on the wall but a guy and his girlfriend are kind of intertwined right in front of it.  If I try to look at it, well they will assume I am checking them out...so I dig through my purse and yes, I do have the MTA New York (Metropolitan Transportation) and we review the stops.  No problem figuring this out, count the stops left to go and we get off at 34th street.
Outside we only have to go one block and there is where we are going next.
                                                     The Empire State Building
This landmark has undergone a huge renovation.  Its now energy efficient, has refurbished windows and is completely wireless.  I am sure there are peak visitation times but its not now because we are able to walk directly to a window to purchase tickets ($22.00) we are able to bypass all the turn styles very similar to Disney world.  There also is no wait once we get to the elevator, just get in and up we go to the 86th floor.  Of course everyone wants to see where that big Ape hung out, so the Empire State Building has always had a good following, but I assume this building has seen a huge increase in visitors with the Twin Towers gone, since this is the place to go for a view of the city!


For an extra fee you can go to the 102nd floor but this was high enough for me.  Anyone that knows the Navy Pier Ferris Wheel and me story, should be impressed that I was standing outside at this height with no problems at all...(though I did not like one area where the wall was only as high as my knees)

We took enough pictures and it was time to move on.  Back on Broadway, we decide to walk to Times Square which is on 42nd street.  Along the way, since we both are hungry we stop at the American Bar & Grill.  There is nothing special about this small restaurant except that it has outside seating and that is perfect!
The food was...adequate.  My turkey was fine but the blah white stuff called mashed potatoes were terrible.  They mashed a potato with water, no milk, no butter, dry and tasteless.  Jackie had a Chicken Salad Club which was also ok, but nothing special.  There were free refills so that helped and soon it was time to go.

Onward we passed Bryant Park which was having a festival so we popped it to check it out.
 Anyone who watches Project Runway knows the show ends with Fashion week at Bryant Park, so it was cool to see where it happens.
We did a little shopping along the way, and timed it perfectly to be at Times Square when darkness hits.




There is a lot going on in and around Times Square.  Toys R Us has a Ferris Wheel

The Hershey Store has the only attraction in Times Square where you can see your name or a message in lights on Broadway.  The scrolling marquee gives you that 15 seconds of fame.  There is also a giant bleacher, that I assume allows people to sit and watch other people..?   I heard that 50 Cent was at Times Square on Thursday, and today, Monday, the Prez is there.

We had the gifts we wanted, finished an ice cream cone and decided it was time to head back to the car.  Things I wanted to see but didn't...Parsons School of Design and Mood, also from Project Runway.  I really wanted to buy some material from Mood, but I didn't look it up a head of time, so no idea where it actually was.  oh well.   The subway was easily marked and we were on our way.
We got out at Rector Street, and walked to the car.  Along the way we passed:
BLT Grill, where the last winner of Hell's Kitchen is now the head chef.  Its very close to the World Trade Center.
Got the car and now the fun starts.  We don't have a map to get to our hotel from lower Manhattan.  We tell the attendant we have to eventually get to 495.  He tells us to turn left, left again and follow the signs.  We turn left, left again, and there are no signs.  We drive a ways more and still no signs.  I tell Jackie I believe we are on Water Street, where do we go.  She replies, "Water isn't on this map".  Well of course not.   Why would we want this to be easy?  Jackie wants me to find Albany Street.  Ok, but no idea where that is to where we are.  We figure we have gone to far north and  decide to turn around.  Let's go back to the start and retrace the way we got here.      We see the parking lot for the Ferry and there are two policemen standing by their car, we ask for directions. Jackie writes down the directions and we head for the Queens Midtown Tunnel (I think).  I am initially not crazy about driving in the tunnel but it was actually pretty sweet.  The rest of the driving was a breeze, and overall what a fun fun day.

Saturday we decide we want to hike somewhere.  We pick Caumsett State Park which has a 2 mile path to the Long Island Sound.  We print up a map from our hotel lobby and head out.  We follow the directions and when we are on West Neck road, we are instructed to turn right on School Lane, go 1 minute.  This is suppose to lead us right into the park but it has lead us to a dead end where a man is walking his bulldog.  YahooMaps is wrong.  We stop and ask if the man if he knows where the State Park is, he laughs and says.. "I see your license plate (which says we are from Georgia) "and my dog is a Georgia Bulldog".....ok, cool, that information will really help us.....then he continues..." go to West Neck road and stay on it over the causeway and right into the Park."   This turns out to be true and we pay and then park the car.  The walk is nice, the weather is great and soon the gravel walkway turns to sand and we are at the beach.





Time to head back.  The wedding is at 2pm, that gives us plenty of time.
We get to the car and I search my purse but can not find the car keys.  I have that hollow feeling in my stomach.  I show Jackie my purse (its small not a lot of places to hide), its not in here.   I check my jacket pockets which are half open.  Could I have put my keys in my pocket and they fell out somewhere??

We don't have time to walk back to the beach.  The ranger at the entrance calls another ranger who arrives in his golf cart like vehicle.  He and I drive and retrace our walk, slowly scanning the ground, asking people we pass if anyone has found a set of keys.  No luck.  We drive back to the parking lot.  Jackie has talked to a policeman who thinks this Park is considered private property and AAA will not come here.  I will need to call for a Tow Truck.  The ranger gives me a number which I call.  The Tow Truck man checks my location and says its not considered a causeway or private property and I can save money by calling AAA.  So then I call AAA, and I talk to the nicest woman, who does some checking and believes I don't need a tow but instead she can send someone who can make me a new key.  That's cool, how long.  She tells me, "He should be there by 2:03."  Oh
Ok, that's great.  Thanks.
Then I start to think of all the upcoming expenses and what will the Rental place charge me.  I call Kathy so she doesn't worry if we aren't at the wedding.  I plop down on the ground by the car.  I have apologized to Jackie so many times I just don't know what else to say.  Jackie tells me while I was gone she sat for a while on the grass, but then saw there was goose crap all around, was there anything on her jeans?  Yes, of course there is, this day would not be complete without having goose poop on your butt.  We both laugh, what else can happen.
I drop my purse on the ground, and think, did I hear a clink?  I put my hand inside the outside pocket, which has nothing in it, but I push my fingers further down, and there appears to be a hole in the seam, and yes, yes, the keys have worked their way into the lining, they are under the purse.  I jump up.  Tell the ranger we found them, thanks so much for everything, but we gotta run!  As we drive I call AAA and cancel, its the same lady and she was so happy for us.  Now, one option would be to go directly to the wedding dressed as we are, but goose poop stain really is not church appropriate.  We go to our hotel, dress quickly and go back to the church.  No didn't make the service but I did get a big hug of relief from Kathy.  Actually quite a few people knew what had happened.  Its kind of funny how many people pointed at us and said, "oh, you are the ladies that lost their keys, right".  Yes, that's us!  Always the center of attention.


Kathy and her dad


 Nicole and Howie's reception was held at Sunken Meadow State Park, Fort Salonga.  Not taking any chances...We arrived early.  This park has a fee to enter but its after hours and the gate is up.  We find the pavilion..don't see a sunken meadow but can finally relax and just enjoy the evening.


Bob, Simon and Kathy

                                         
We were entertained by Howie singing (pictures didn't turn out too dark) ...and Nicole singing with her band, Disco Vietnam

We had a great time, and both Jackie and I were glad we were able to go to New York to share this event with Kathy.
After the reception we went to Nags Head, in Huntington for a night cap.  Then said good night to one very long day!

Sunday, we debated about how to spend our half day.  We had til about 3 pm to do something.  Cooney Island?, another hike somewhere?, there was an Aquarium near by but not exactly sure where?, the Packers played at 1pm NY time, who would be showing the game?  
We decided to go to the mall, that was followed by going into Huntington and checking out the stores along Main Street.  


Its really a cute area and has quite a few bars, and we hoped one would be showing the Packer game.  Sure enough, we were told to try Rookies.  Nice place, 8 TVs, none with the Packers.  The hostess checked each game and someone was watching each one, so none could be changed.  We went to Nags Head and yes, Nicole and Howie and others were there, and the game was on. 

It was on a really small screen but it was on nevertheless.  At halftime we grabbed a couple slices at pizza, and then it was time to head for the airport.  I had printed directions to the Dollar Rental, and just like when we started the trip, they were spot on!  

Recap.  We were a part of New York, part of the fun, the mourning, the excitement, the awe, of the city that never sleeps.  We had ups and downs and smiles and laughter.  It was a great time.  We did a lot in a short amount of time. 
Thanks Jackie for going with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment